Underwater Acoustics Engineer - SEAL 977
Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)
Location: Smyrna, GA
Title: Underwater Acoustics Engineer
Position: Full-Time Research Faculty
Level: Research Engineer/Scientist II, Senior Research Engineer/Scientist, Principal Research Engineer/Scientist
Primary Location: Cobb County Research Facility, Smyrna, GA
Travel Required: Occasional
Reporting To: Sam Piper
GTRI is currently looking for research engineers to perform detailed research and analysis related to underwater acoustic signal processing, including:
- Conducting extensive literature reviews in support of required underwater acoustic problem analysis
- Developing computer simulations of acoustic phenomena as it relates to solving underwater acoustic problems
- Analyzing measured data and formulating hypotheses regarding underwater acoustic behavior
- Helping to develop concepts for underwater acoustic systems; participating in prototype design and testing
- Participating in collaborative engineering analysis sessions with peers
- Generating technical reports and professional journal publications as required
- Interacting with customer representatives as necessary to complete project objectives
- Delivering oral presentations to peers and customers on research findings
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering, Physics, Acoustics, or other relevant field. Master’s degree and up to 10+ years work experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience. PhD preferred.
Ideal candidate will have relevant experience in some combination of:
- Testing, implementation, and use of acoustical sensors
- Signal Processing applied to seafloor mapping and imaging sonars, passive acoustic arrays, interferometry and/or automatic target recognition
- Modeling acoustic propagation using Kraken, Scooter, RAM, Bellop, or other software to simulate propagation in shallow-water, deep-water, or arctic environments
Experience managing research projects, making technical presentations, and writing reports is preferred.
Ideal candidates will have nationally recognized technical contributions with record of publication and technical seminar presentations.
Candidates must have the ability to work independently while contributing to team efforts. GTRI seeks individuals with strong problem solving skills that are able to develop creative solutions.
Other: Due to our research contracts with the US federal government, candidates for this position are required to be US Citizens. Current active Secret clearance desired, but not a requirement.
Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
Ranked as the #7 best public university, Georgia Tech provides a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News and World Report.
Degrees are offered through the colleges of Architecture, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
The strong academic work ethic at Tech is balanced by a collegiate atmosphere incorporating both intercollegiate and intramural sports, campus traditions, and some 400 student organizations.
Alongside their academic achievements, Tech students are also active in the community, earning a well-rounded education through community service activities.
As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.
There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century.
Equipped with the extremely rich resources of an outstanding student body and faculty; strong partnerships with business, industry, and government; and support from alumni and friends, Georgia Tech is designing a future of global preeminence, leadership, and service.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Acoustic Engineer Jobs
- View more Engineering Jobs
- View more Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Jobs