Sr. Electrical Engineer - Test Development
Job Title:Sr. Electrical Engineer - Test Development
BorgWarner is a global product leader in powertrain solutions. We focus on developing leading powertrain Technologies that improve fuel economy, emissions and performance. Our facilities are located across the globe to provide local support for our diverse customer base.
We operate in two groups: The Engine Group develops air management strategies and products to optimize engines for fuel efficiency, reduced emissions and enhanced performance. BorgWarner’s expertise includes engine timing systems, boosting systems, ignition systems, air and noise management, cooling and controls. The Drivetrain Group harnesses a legacy of more than 100 years as an industry innovator in transmission and all-wheel drive technology. The group leverages this understanding of powertrain clutching technology to develop interactive control systems and strategies for all types of torque management.
BorgWarner Power Drive Systems is currently looking for an individual to join as a*Sr. Electrical Engineer *at our Indiana Technical Center (ITC) in Anderson, Indiana.
In this role, and under direct supervision of the*Engineering Supervisor, Test Development*the*Sr. Electrical Engineer*will be primarily responsible to support electrical aspects of test equipment for new and existing products and components. The Sr. Electrical Engineer will team up with mechanical and software Engineers for the design of test equipment for BorgWarner rotating electrics. Will handle all aspects from concept to commission of new dynamometers and environmental test equipment. Act as technical liaison for various organizational units that support BorgWarner electrification initiatives, will review progress of projects, evaluate results, and make changes in testing methods and strategies where necessary to support the development of BorgWarner products.
* Design of new dynamometers and new test equipment working with Test & Development team
* Continuous improvement of existing test equipment
* Project manage the procurement of new test equipment from vendors. Writing a statement of requirements and acceptance criteria
* Develop or improve test profiles for rotating electric products via programming
* Assist the maintenance department on electrical troubleshooting of various machines
* Ensure devices under test operate properly using data acquisition systems, power analyzer, oscilloscopes and other various test equipment
* Coordinate the assembly, debug, runoff, installation, and initial operator training of new test equipment.
* Participate in troubleshooting issues with different teams to drive towards root cause identification and resolution. Adjust test methods as necessary
* Identifies problems and offers solutions
* Writing of manuals for test equipment
* Maintains liaison with various organizational units; reviews progress and evaluates results; makes changes in methods, design or equipment where necessary
* Document, track and escalate issues as appropriate
*Education & Experience:*
* BS in Engineering required; EE or EET preferred
* 5 years Electrical Engineering experience required
* Automotive electrical system experience preferred
* Multi-year experience with industrial controls and automation design: test equipment preferred
* Experience with dynamometers: testing of inductive and permanent magnet machines
* Experience with environmental testers: thermal, dust, fog, and spray
* Programming experience: Programmable Logic Controllers, Human machine Interface, VB.net, and LabView
* Good understanding of:
o Inverter control methods (6-step, space vector modulation, sinusoidal PWM, etc.
o Motor control methods (IPM IdIq vector model, induction, switched reluctance, brushless DC)
o Position and speed sensor technologies and related signal processing
o Harmonic analysis
* Ability to draw electrical schematics and panel layouts in AutoCAD
* Ability to solve problems efficiently and effectively
* Ability to work proactively with internal and external customers
* Analytical, technical, and statistical skills
* Self-directed, ability to work under minimal supervision
* Able to handle multiple projects simultaneously
* Strong oral and written communication skills
* Ability to work in a hands-on manner
* Must be highly aware and adhere to medium voltage safety standards and procedures
* Problem Solving
* Interpersonal Savvy
* Customer Focus
* Functional/Technical Skills
* Drive for Results
* Ethics & Values
This position will adhere to Global Star Safety Program, including safety rules, practices and training as outlined in the BorgWarner*ITC/WHQ*Safety Policy Manual, which includes the use of equipment, protective devices, or clothing that the employer requires. This individual will work in manners that stress the importance of preventing accidents and illnesses. He/she must take every precaution reasonable in the given circumstance for the protection of themselves and co-workers. In addition, he/she is responsible for reporting all injuries and/or possible dangerous situations, incidents, or occurrences to the immediate supervisor.
Equal Employer Opportunity Statement*
It is our policy to recruit, hire, train, and promote individuals who are qualified for any position by reason of education, training, experience, and personal characteristics, without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, veteran or, marital status, height, weight, or any other legally protected status.
**Job:** **Engineering - Advanced & Product*
**Title:** *Sr. Electrical Engineer - Test Development*
**Location:** *Indiana-Anderson-6628 Production Drive*
**Requisition ID:** *1602892*
Location:Anderson, IN, 46016, USA