Software Engineering for Computational Social Science/Data Science 1064
Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)
Location: Atlanta, GA
Research Engineer II/ Research Scientist II – Software Engineering for Computational Social Science/Data Science
Applicants should be US citizens capable and willing to obtain a security clearance.
The Georgia Tech Research Institute is a basic and applied research non-profit organization with 8 Laboratories covering a wide array of research expertise over topics for government and industry sponsors. Through cutting-edge research, we provide solutions for our sponsors that significantly, positively, effect outcomes in their business processes.
The GTRI Robotics and Autonomous Systems Division with the Aerospace, Transportation, and Advanced Systems Laboratory is looking for a software engineering candidate to join the Computational Social Science group at GTRI. The CSS group is focused on conducting basic and applied research to produce new knowledge and socio-technical systems which provide analytical value of scales to different audiences.
As a member of the CSS group, you will be working in a multi-disciplinary group of engineers and scientists in a variety of topics (e.g. technology prediction, economics, social computing), applying and growing your expertise in computational social science and data science– first through software engineering (e.g. web applications, streaming data platforms, distributed computing platforms) and then through participating in CSS research to solve problems for which the systems/framework are being developed.
A typical project may look like the development and application of real-time data analysis algorithms for processing open- and closed-source data, as well as system development for the integration of multiple algorithms and techniques.
- M.S. or Ph.D. degree in computer science, data science, information science, computational social science, engineering, or related fields
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Quick and independent learner
- Proven ability to generate new ideas and innovations
- Ability to take ownership of a project and work independently to produce results as well as on teams.
- Strong mathematical foundation and problem-solving skills
- Proficient with Unix-based systems
- Lead & participate in the design and development of large-scale data collection and analytics/visualization producing systems/frameworks
- System development for integrating multiple algorithms into an enterprise analysis platform with a web app user interface.
- Generation of software prototypes with documentation
- Lead & participate in writing research reports, research publications, proposals, customer briefs
- 2+ years of experience in web application and server-side software engineering including one of the following lifecycle models: agile, scrum, cmmi, fdd
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following: r, python, java, c++
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following: sql, nosql (e.g. mongo, redis)
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following: expressjs, angularjs, nodejs, flask, django, extjs, google web toolkit, web2py, ember
- 2+ years experience with at least one of the following: d3, raphael.js, sigmajs, dimplejs, dygraphsjs
Proven research experience (e.g. relevant publications, demonstrable software) in at least ONE of these areas is desirable:
- Graph Analytics
- Machine Learning
- Natural Language Processing
- Computer Vision
Additionally Preferred Capabilities
- Statistical analysis – 1-2 years experience with at least one of the following: r, spss, matlab, scipy, numpy
- Hands-on experience with data-wrangling and processing methods and algorithm development for processing large sets of data
Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
Ranked as the #7 best public university, Georgia Tech provides a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News and World Report.
Degrees are offered through the colleges of Architecture, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
The strong academic work ethic at Tech is balanced by a collegiate atmosphere incorporating both intercollegiate and intramural sports, campus traditions, and some 400 student organizations.
Alongside their academic achievements, Tech students are also active in the community, earning a well-rounded education through community service activities.
As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.
There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century.
Equipped with the extremely rich resources of an outstanding student body and faculty; strong partnerships with business, industry, and government; and support from alumni and friends, Georgia Tech is designing a future of global preeminence, leadership, and service.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Software Engineer Jobs
- View more Engineering Jobs
- View more Robotics Jobs
- View more Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Jobs