Senior Electro Optical Engineer - EOSL 1203
Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)
Location: Atlanta, GA
Description: Job Description:
This job is a full-time research faculty position in the Electro-Optical Systems Innovation Division (EOSID) with the Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory (EOSL) at the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI). Responsibilities include the modeling and analysis of electro-optical sensor systems and the components, developing algorithms to convert the raw data produced by these sensors into actionable information, and developing novel concepts for passive and/or active sensing of optical phenomenology.
EOSID’s research is performed in the areas of Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR). Intelligent Sensors and Imaging Systems (ISIS), and Lidar and Active EO Systems. Our team designs, builds, and tests the hardware that turns “Photons into Knowledge”. Key technical areas include Hyperspectral and Multispectral Imaging Processing and Analysis, EO System and Component Analysis and Characterization, FOPEN, Bathymetric Airborne Lidar.
EOSL offers flexible work environment allowing each researcher to pursue his or her interest and strengths, integrated with the overall mission of the division and the lab.
MS or Ph.D. in Physics, Electrical Engineering, Optical Engineering or related field.
For Ph.D. degrees, at least 4 years of professional experience after degree award. For MS degrees, at least 7 years of professional experience after degree award.
- Model and analyze the performance of electro-optical sensor systems and their components in a variety of operating environments on land, in air, or sea
- Design and develop algorithms and software producing knowledge from data measured with single or multiple electro-optical devices.
- Design and execute experiments to characterize various optical phenomenology including but not limited to radiometry, spectrometry, polarimetry, atmospheric/oceanic light propagation, and imaging.
- Supervise others’ work by virtue of being a program manager, project director/principal investigator, co-project director/principal investigator, or task leader on sponsored research of such magnitude as to require guidance and supervision of other professionals.
- Communicate with external sponsors, vendors, contractors, and suppliers.
- Write technical reports and make formal presentations of technical research.
- Prototype innovative sensors, electro-optical and/or opto-mechanical systems.
- Develop new business and create winning proposals.
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently on projects.
- Travel may be involved, as project work may occur in Atlanta or at locations other than Atlanta.
- Other duties as assigned by EOSL leadership.
- Matlab, MatchCAD, IDL, Code V, Zemax, Modtran, C/C++, Python, Perl
- Experience with conducting experiments involving optical phenomenology in the laboratory or the field.
- Strong math skills and the ability to learn complex engineering concepts.
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to a non-technical audience.
Due the requirements of our Federal contracts, candidates must be US citizens capable of holding a DoD security clearance.
Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
Ranked as the #7 best public university, Georgia Tech provides a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News and World Report.
Degrees are offered through the colleges of Architecture, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
The strong academic work ethic at Tech is balanced by a collegiate atmosphere incorporating both intercollegiate and intramural sports, campus traditions, and some 400 student organizations.
Alongside their academic achievements, Tech students are also active in the community, earning a well-rounded education through community service activities.
As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.
There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century.
Equipped with the extremely rich resources of an outstanding student body and faculty; strong partnerships with business, industry, and government; and support from alumni and friends, Georgia Tech is designing a future of global preeminence, leadership, and service.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Electro-Optical Engineer Jobs
- View more Engineering Jobs
- View more Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Jobs