Research Scientist – Next-Generation Engineering Software
Siemens Corporate Technology
- Control Systems
- Software Engineering
We make a real difference to the way people live. As a world leader in developing and producing the most advanced engineering technologies, we improve lives and further human achievements worldwide, while also protecting the climate – all thanks to our employees. Working with us, you have the foundation to develop personally and professionally. We give you the chance to do something meaningful that benefits society and human progress. We give you the chance to make a difference.
For nearly 170 years, pioneering technologies, and the business models developed from them, have been the foundation of Siemens’ success. Our central research and development unit, Corporate Technology (CT) plays an important role in this. Together with its global network of experts, CT is a strategic partner to Siemens’ operative units. Siemens’ central research and development arm sees itself as a strategic partner to the company’s businesses. It plays a key role in achieving and maintaining leading competitive positions in the fields of electrification and automation while at the same time helping Siemens fully tap into the growth field of digitalization.
CT is seeking a member of its Automation Engineering Software Research Group of the vertical Automation & Control Technology Field in Princeton, New Jersey. In this research group, we shape the innovation roadmap towards the automation engineering of the future; in collaboration with leading academic institutions and government agencies. We are a team of software enthusiasts, innovators, engineers and scientists with deep technical expertise who are passionate about disruptive technologies in the areas of Design, Engineering, and Control. Our deliverables enable the successful transformation of the technology trends in Automation & Control into the business of the future for a multitude of customer products and services.
Join our research group Automation Engineering Software located in Princeton, NJ, and investigate the latest advances in collaborative software ecosystems, digital twins, and cognitive systems, in diverse application areas such as smart factories, intelligent buildings and autonomous trains. You will be encouraged to think out-of-the-box, innovate and find solutions to real-life problems.
Developing a multi-disciplinary line of research in Automation Engineering Software and translating research results into practical applications and prototypes.
Scouting and evaluating new automation and control technologies.
Defining and leading research projects, including technical supervision of software engineers and interns.
Seeking advocacy from appropriate Siemens business units on potential use cases.
Transferring research results to Siemens business units for product implementations.
Advising CT management and Siemens business units on disruptive technologies for Automation & Control related to Automation Engineering.
Developing successful research proposals for external funding that align with Siemens’ strategic direction in collaboration with leading academic institutions and government agencies.
Generating high-quality invention disclosures and patent applications.
Required Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Ph.D. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or Electrical Engineering.
- 2 years of related professional experience or strong record of industry internships.
- Background in Knowledge Representation and Automated Reasoning.
- Able to apply theory to practice in Automation, Control, Computer Aided Engineering, Modeling, and Simulation.
- Hands-on programming skills and ability to quickly prototype in C/C++, C# or Java.
- Experience and/or involvement in writing funding proposals for research grants.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication (verbal & written) and presentation skills in English required.
- Experience working with international and multi-cultural teams.
- The ability to multitask and make lead contributions in several projects.
- Ability to work under uncertainty.
- Successful candidate must be able to work with controlled technology in accordance with US Export Control Law. US Export Control laws and applicable regulations govern the distribution of strategically important technology, services and information to foreign nationals and foreign countries. Siemens may require candidates under consideration for employment opportunities to submit information regarding citizenship status to allow the organization to comply with specific US Export Control laws and regulations. Additional information on the US Export Control laws & regulations can be found on http://www.bis.doc.gov/index.php/policy-guidance/deemed-exports/deemed-exports-faqs?view=category&id=33#
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, and Experience
- Knowledge and/or experience in some the following areas is considered a plus: Machine Learning, Service-oriented architectures, Cloud computing, Human computer interaction (HCI), Collaborative and social computing, Ubiquitous and mobile computing, Web applications, Model-driven software engineering, Modeling and simulation, Database theory, Data management systems, Graph theory, Computer-aided design, Artificial intelligence, Cognitive science, Multi-agent systems, Formal methods, Computational logic
- Experience in standardization working groups
- Understanding the business of Siemens to identify and apply use cases for new technologies in the area of Automation & Control, e.g. Industrial Automation, Train Automation etc.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Clinical Research Scientist Jobs
- View more Control Systems Jobs
- View more Research Jobs
- View more Software Engineering Jobs
- View more Siemens Corporate Technology Jobs