Research-focused Software Developer (Research Scientist/Engineer I/II, Senior Research Scientist/Engineer) ELSYS- 596
Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)
Location: Atlanta, GA
Title: Research-focused Software Developer
Position: Full Time
Level: Research Scientist/Engineer I/II,
Senior Research Scientist/Engineer
Primary Location: Atlanta, GA
Travel Required: Up to 25% time, but typically far less
This job is for a full time research faculty position in the Systems Engineering Software Applications Branch (SESA). Our research group is predominantly focused on the creation of proof-of-concept, collaborative, browser-based tools to support large scale data visualization and systems engineering design for complex systems. We are not a commercial development house, most of the development projects we do are six month to year-long projects developing one-off/prototype tools for our sponsors (reusing code between projects whenever possible). The emphasis is on research and development to support the solving of new and novel problems. This job affords considerable intellectual freedom to solve our customer's problems by whatever means necessary. We also strive to use open source software and tools wherever possible.
We do not have requirements on education level other than a B.S. in a science related field with a strong software development background. If you have aspirations for an advanced degree, GTRI is an excellent choice. Because GTRI is a research unit within Georgia Tech, graduate school can be paid for and employees can pursue a degree in almost any engineering, science or math field from a world class research institution. We highly encourage our research developers to pursue advanced degrees, particularly in a systems engineering related discipline.
New hires would:
· initially be assigned to the Systems Technology and Analysis Division to support research projects and business development in SESA.
· be assigned to support ongoing software development activities where GTRI is providing tools and methods for DoD R&D programs.
· eventually transition to Task or Project lead for customer funded programs, assuming technical and financial responsibility for tasks.
· facilitate business and technical relationships in support of customer program managers and technical leaders.
Education: B.S., M.S. or PhD in Computer Science or Science/Engineering Related Field (Computer Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Psychology, Medicine, etc.) with significant programming/development experience
Experience: Software engineering experience, preferably in the domain of web-based applications (2-5 years preferred)
Preferred Skills: (not all required, is descending order of preference)
- HTML (HTML5 preferred)
- Familiarity with Linux
- Configuration management tools (git preferred)
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to non-technical audience
- NoSQL databases (e.g. MongoDB)
- Team Leadership
- Project management
- Linux systems administration (multiple distros)
- Data visualization (Tufte and Cleveland, and using matplotlib or D3)
- Resource description framework (RDF)
- Scientific tool development (Python using numpy, scipy, openmdao and matplotlib)
- Systems engineering architecting, requirements definition, and analysis of alternatives
- SysML modeling
- Node.js and related technologies (e.g. Meteor.js)
Other: Candidate must be a US citizen capable of holding a Secret DoD security clearance, active clearance a major plus.
Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
Ranked as the #7 best public university, Georgia Tech provides a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News and World Report.
Degrees are offered through the colleges of Architecture, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
The strong academic work ethic at Tech is balanced by a collegiate atmosphere incorporating both intercollegiate and intramural sports, campus traditions, and some 400 student organizations.
Alongside their academic achievements, Tech students are also active in the community, earning a well-rounded education through community service activities.
As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.
There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century.
Equipped with the extremely rich resources of an outstanding student body and faculty; strong partnerships with business, industry, and government; and support from alumni and friends, Georgia Tech is designing a future of global preeminence, leadership, and service.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Software Developer Jobs
- View more Research Jobs
- View more Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Jobs