Engineering Manager 3 - Electrical Engineering
Job Title:Engineering Manager 3 - Electrical Engineering
L3 SSG has an opportunity for an Electrical Engineering Manager to join our talented engineering organization. This position is a functional management role, in a matrixed organization, leading a team of Electrical and Controls Engineers with focus on space based electro-optical mission payloads and sensor systems development. Electrical Engineers are part of multi-disciplined teams, possessing expert understanding of space based electronics and motion control technology for electro-optical payloads, sensors, and sub-assemblies.
The position requires a proven track-record in space based mission payload or sensor systems including Electrical Engineering functional department leadership and as an Electrical Engineer on critical payload programs. The primary function of the Electrical Engineering Group is to take full responsibility for the electronics requirements and ICDs, conceptual trades, hardware design & analysis, sub-contractor and procurement support, and integration & test of sensor systems including precision scanning mirror assemblies, electro-optical mechanisms, gimbals, electro-otpical calibration systems, and cameras for space and commercial communities. Additional responsibilities include full documentation of design approaches, establishing design verification & validation of sensor systems and major sub-assemblies, and developing test plans & test stations. Engineering Managers are responsible for discipline specific engineering functional teams in a matrix organization including program/project cost & schedule plans, department strategic growth, process development & improvement, personnel development, hiring, performance reviews, disciplinary actions, goal development, and staffing to program teams. Additional expectation include support to new business opportunities, leading program tiger teams, participation in industry-wide events, and active development of junior level staff.
* BS in an Electrical Engineering, MS in Engineering Management or MBA is preferred
* 20 years of experience in developing electro-optical payloads or sensors for aerospace & defense or commercial applications.
* 5 plus years of experience as a functional supervisor or manager
* Expert knowledge in sensor level and sub-assembly hardware design & development, conceptual design trades & analysis, systems integration, reliability, and risk mitigation for space systems.
* Extensive experience in analog and digital design, servo design, motion control systems and precision mechanisms.
* Experience with high reliability space flight programs and radiation-hardened environments are required.
* Ability to work directly with program managers and the customer to understand, develop, and resolve all technical requirements.
* Experience supporting new business proposals or IR&D technology development efforts
* Experience generating cost & schedule plans and estimates is required.
* Excellent oral, written and presentation skills for interfacing with senior management and customers as well as mentoring of other engineers.
Competencies / Desired Characteristics
L3 SSG is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We encourage minorities, women, veterans and disabled individuals to apply. Any offer of employment is conditioned upon the successful completion of a background investigation and drug screen.
U.S. Citizen status is required
Existing TS/SCI (SSBI) security clearance or the ability to satisfy requirements for a TS/SCI SSBI security clearance.
L-3 Communications is a prime contractor in Command, Control, Communications, Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance (C3ISR) systems, aircraft modernization and maintenance, and government services. L-3 is also a leading provider of a broad range of electronic systems used on military and commercial platforms. Our customers include the U.S. Department of Defense and its prime contractors, U.S. Government intelligence agencies, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Department of State, U.S. Department of Justice, allied foreign governments, domestic and foreign commercial customers and select other U.S. federal, state and local government agencies.
L-3 SSG specializes in the development, manufacturing and qualification of remote E-O sensing payloads, instruments and major sub-systems primarily for space as well as unique airborne applications. Space mission areas include major science investigation, situational awareness, launch detection and weather analysis. Primary markets served include NASA, DoD, intelligence communities and commercial space. Primary airborne contributions include hyperspectral payloads for specialized overseas missions and critical line-of-sight control sub-systems for targeting systems.
NOTE: This position can be a Salary Grade __S05___ or _S06____ based on the candidate's qualifications as they relate to the skills, experience and responsibility requirements for the position.
**Organization:** **Division - SSG-20000054*
**Title:** *Engineering Manager 3 - Electrical Engineering*
**Requisition ID:** *087073*
Location:Wilmington, MA, 01887, USA