Electro-optical Engineer/Scientist (Research Engineer/Scientist I/II) -EOSL -1321
Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)
- Instrumentation and Measurement
Location: Atlanta, GA
Description: This job is for a full-time research faculty position in the Opto-Electronics (OE) Branch in the Electro-Optical Systems Innovation Division (EOSID) with the Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory (EOSL) at the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI). Responsibilities include developing innovative solutions for real-time embedded systems; developing novel digital signal processing algorithms and instrumentation control; designing, implementing, and debugging low-level software; analyzing electro-optical and infrared sensors, involving both active and passive sensing modalities, and the physical phenomenology that drives the signatures of targets and backgrounds; writing technical reports, user manuals, and software; and supporting other engineering-related work as needed.
EOSID’s research is performed in the areas of Intelligence, Surveillance, and Reconnaissance (ISR), Intelligent Sensors and Imaging Systems (ISIS), and Lidar and Active EO Systems. Our team designs, builds, and tests the hardware that turn “Photons into Knowledge.” Key technical areas include Hyperspectral and Multispectral Imaging Processing and Analysis, EO System and Component Analysis and Characterization, Optical Imaging and Tagging, Lidar System Design, Construction, and Operation, for real-time Topographic, FOPEN, and Bathymetric Airborne Lidar.
We offer a flexible work environment allowing each researcher to pursue his or her interests and strengths, integrated with the overall mission of the branch and the lab. If you have aspirations for an advanced degree, all the better. Because GTRI is a research unit within Georgia Tech, you can get your graduate school paid for and pursue a degree in pretty much any engineering, science or math field you desire from a world class research institution. We highly encourage our research developers to pursue advanced technical degrees and professional development courses.
Research Engineer I
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineer or a related area.
Research Engineer II
- A Master’s degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineer or a related area and three (3) years of relevant full-time experience after completion of that degree,
- A Doctoral degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Electrical Engineer or a related area
- 3-7 years of professional or graduate experience
- Develop low-level C++ for real-time signal processing of optical signals
- Make component-level decisions from high-level system requirements
- Experience with point cloud data processing and geomatics concepts and applications
- Demonstrated experience with advanced digital signal processing
- Write technical reports, user manuals, presentations, and requirements documents
- Have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently on projects
- Travel may be involved, as project work may occur in Atlanta or at a location other than Atlanta
- C, Matlab, Python, Visual Studio, Qt, PCL, IDL, ENVI
- Experience in generating point clouds from optical signals and associated metadata
- Experience in processing point clouds, inertial navigation system data, and hyperspectral data
- Experience with waveform-resolved and TOF-based LIDAR systems
- Experience with multi-threaded and mixed-mode (CPU/GPU) computing architectures
- Experience with developing hardware controllers
- Knowledge of software architecture design including GUI design
- Knowledge of multi-sensor fusion techniques
- Knowledge of physical phenomenology that drives signals detected by optical and infrared sensors
- Knowledge of measurement-error propagation techniques
- Real-time operating system experience a plus
- Previous experience with passive electro-optical systems
- Strong math skills, including advanced linear algebra and numerical methods, and ability to learn complex engineering concepts
- Familiarity with Linux and open source tools
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to non-technical audience
- Due to requirements of our Federal contracts, candidate must be US citizens capable of holding a DoD security clearance. Active clearances are a major plus.
Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
Ranked as the #7 best public university, Georgia Tech provides a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News and World Report.
Degrees are offered through the colleges of Architecture, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
The strong academic work ethic at Tech is balanced by a collegiate atmosphere incorporating both intercollegiate and intramural sports, campus traditions, and some 400 student organizations.
Alongside their academic achievements, Tech students are also active in the community, earning a well-rounded education through community service activities.
As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.
There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century.
Equipped with the extremely rich resources of an outstanding student body and faculty; strong partnerships with business, industry, and government; and support from alumni and friends, Georgia Tech is designing a future of global preeminence, leadership, and service.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Electro-Optical Engineer Jobs
- View more Engineering Jobs
- View more Instrumentation and Measurement Jobs
- View more Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Jobs