Electro-optical Engineer/Scientist (Research Engineer/Scientist I/II)
Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI)
- Instrumentation and Measurement
Location: Atlanta, GA
Title: Electro-optical Engineer/Scientist (Research Engineer/Scientist I/II)
Position: Full Time
Level: Research Engineer/Scientist I/II
Primary Location: Atlanta, GA
Travel Required: Up to 25% time
Lab: Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory
Reporting to: Christopher Valenta
This job is for a full-time research faculty position in the Electro-Optical Systems Innovation Division (EOSID) and joint appointment with the Sensor Intelligence & Visualization Division (SIV) within the Electro-Optical Systems Laboratory (EOSL) at the Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI). Responsibilities include developing innovative solutions for real-time embedded systems; developing novel digital signal processing algorithms and instrumentation control; designing, implementing, and debugging low-level software; designing, implementing, and debugging 2D/3D visualization applications; writing technical reports, user manuals, and high level software; and supporting other engineering-related work as needed.
We offer a flexible work environment allowing each researcher to pursue his or her interests and strengths, integrated with the overall mission of the branch and the lab. If you have aspirations for an advanced degree, all the better. Because GTRI is a research unit within Georgia Tech, you can get your graduate school paid for and pursue a degree in pretty much any engineering, science or math field you desire from a world class research institution. We highly encourage our research developers to pursue advanced technical degrees and professional development courses.
- B.S. M.S. or Ph.D in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related fields
- 0-7 years of professional or graduate experience
- Develop low-level software for real-time signal processing of optical signals
- Make component-level decisions from high-level system requirements
- Experience with general electrical lab instrumentation equipment – oscilloscopes, function generators, multi-meters, etc.
- Develop 2D/3D data visualization user interfaces
- Communicate with outside vendors and suppliers
- Write technical reports, user manuals, presentations, and requirements documents
- Have strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently on projects
- Travel may be involved, as project work may occur in Atlanta or at a location other than Atlanta
- VHDL/Verilog, Mentor Graphics, Vivado, CUDA, Matlab, BASH
- C, C++, C#
- Experience with Visual Studio
- Experience with Microsoft .NET, WPF/UWP a plus
- Experience with mixed signal FPGA system design
- Experience developing and debugging hardware programmable languages
- Experience in processing point clouds, inertial navigation system data, and hyperspectral data
- Knowledge of advanced digital signal processing
- Knowledge of software architecture design
- Experience with or passion for Virtual/Augmented Reality, Hololens, Oculus Rift
- Real-time operating system experience a plus
- Previous experience with electro-optical systems is a plus
- Strong math skills and ability to learn complex engineering concepts
- Familiarity with Linux and open source tools
- Ability to clearly communicate technical ideas to non-technical audience
- Due to requirements of our Federal contracts, candidate must be US citizens capable of holding a DoD security clearance. Active clearances are a major plus.
Located in Atlanta, Georgia, the Georgia Institute of Technology is a leading research university committed to improving the human condition through advanced science and technology.
Ranked as the #7 best public university, Georgia Tech provides a focused, technologically based education to more than 21,500 undergraduate and graduate students.
Georgia Tech has many nationally recognized programs, all top-ranked by peers and publications alike, and is ranked in the nation’s top 10 public universities by U.S. News and World Report.
Degrees are offered through the colleges of Architecture, Computing, Engineering, Sciences, the Scheller College of Business, and the Ivan Allen College of Liberal Arts.
The strong academic work ethic at Tech is balanced by a collegiate atmosphere incorporating both intercollegiate and intramural sports, campus traditions, and some 400 student organizations.
Alongside their academic achievements, Tech students are also active in the community, earning a well-rounded education through community service activities.
As a leading technological university, Georgia Tech has more than 100 centers focused on interdisciplinary research that consistently contribute vital research and innovation to American government, industry, and business.
There is no doubt that Georgia Tech stands out as a distinctively different kind of university, one that is eagerly encouraging and developing the revolutionary technologies of the 21st century.
Equipped with the extremely rich resources of an outstanding student body and faculty; strong partnerships with business, industry, and government; and support from alumni and friends, Georgia Tech is designing a future of global preeminence, leadership, and service.
View Similar Jobs:
- View more Electro-Optical Engineer Jobs
- View more Engineering Jobs
- View more Instrumentation and Measurement Jobs
- View more Georgia Tech Research Institute (GTRI) Jobs