Job Title:Electrical Engineer
Electrical Engineer at ITW
**Electrical Engineer – R&D, Norwood, MA**
Instron is a global organization that designs, manufactures, sells and services materials testing systems. Instron is a clear global leader in materials testing applications and its leadership in the marketplace is continually expanding. You will find that our established strength, commitment to our core values and team focus provides an engaging work environment and offers exceptional opportunities for personal and career development.
This position is based at Instron’s Industrial Products Group (IPG). IPG is responsible for manufacturing our Industrial Series of static hydraulic testing systems, high capacity pendulum impact testers, and static torsion testing systems. These systems are used by our customers to perform a variety of mechanical tests including tension, compression, bend, shear, and impact on materials such as metals, concrete, composites and wood. Product forms tested include steel plate, rebar, pipe, tube, castings, forgings, wire strand, fasteners and components.
We are looking for a talented electrical engineer to join our IPG group located in Norwood, MA. The position offers the opportunity to work on a wide array of projects including design and development of new products, changes and updates to current products, design of retrofit packages for customer’s existing systems, complex investigations of quality or manufacturing issues, and vetting new technologies for design and manufacturing. In this position you will be responsible for a number of projects and tasks including design, build, test, reporting and optimization. You will get to work on Instron’s broad product portfolio including complex machinery and precision instruments, and will deal with a variety of technologies (PID control, analog and digital circuits, embedded systems, electrical switching, etc.) to create test systems that are safe, reliable and intuitive. You will be a part of a dynamic group, working on solving technical challenges while having access to experienced engineers for advice and mentoring as well the chance to work with junior engineers and co-op students. The position requires frequent interaction with many Instron departments as well as vendors and suppliers.
1. Performs such tasks as research and development of part or all of a product, and preparation of product and project documents and reports.
2. May supervise or coordinate the work of associate engineers, designers, drafters, technicians and others who are assigned to the same task and/or project.
3. May participate in coordinating project activity, product introduction and/or sales order requirements with customer representatives and Engineering, Marketing, and Manufacturing personnel.
4. Evaluates electrical systems, products, components, and applications by designing and conducting research programs; applying knowledge of electricity and materials.
5. Confirms system's and components' capabilities by designing testing methods; testing properties.
6. Develops electrical products by studying customer and marketing requirements; researching and testing manufacturing and assembly methods and materials.
7. Contributes to team effort by accomplishing related results as needed.
8. Create robust and reliable electrical designs in the test and measurement field
9. Develop and document designs for release to manufacturing
10. Implement new technologies, techniques and concepts to enable functionality, simplify designs, improve reliability, and reduce overall manufacturing costs
11. Troubleshoot system and board level failures; implement resolutions to prevent recurrence
12. B.S.or M.S in Electrical Engineering or equivalent with at least 5 years of product design and development experience.
13. Basic knowledge of engineering concepts, fundamentals and theory, DC/DC switching power supply design, analog and digital design, various communications protocols (i.e Ethernet, USB, CAN, SPI, RS232, and I2C)
14. Experience with machine design components such as motors, motion control, sensor interfaces, interlocks, data acquisition and processing is a plus
15. Schematic Capture and PCB Layout Experience Required (Altium preferred)
16. Experience with Embedded Design and microprocessors such as (32-Bit/ARM Processors)
17. Oral and written communication skills (includes technical writing)
18. Analytical, abstract thinking, and problem solving skills
19. Ability to:
20. Demonstrate decision making and a swift self-starter
21. Learn to apply new engineering theories and concepts to complex problems, interpret codes, regulations and practices
22. Develop effective planning, project and organization skills, work and collaborate within a team environment
23. Understanding and developing products from prototype to production
24. Experience with lab equipment such as Analyzers, oscilloscopes, DVMs, multifunction generators, etc.Preferred
+ Ability to solder fine pitch components down to 0603
+ Embedded programming experience (i.e C++, VHDL)
+ High Speed digital design (HDMI, USB 3.0)
+ Wireless (802.11, zigbee, etc)
+ Knowledge of the Machinery Directive and its harmonized standards
+ Knowledge of IEC-61508
Company:Illinois Tool Works, Inc.
Location:Norwood, MA, 02062, USA