Electrical Engineer 4 - Substation Design
Black & Veatch
Job Title:Electrical Engineer 4 - Substation Design
Electrical Engineer 4 - Substation Design
A Black & Veatch substation project engineer works on diverse and challenging projects from greenfield installations to retrofits. Our substation engineers are given the responsibility for engineering design, material, equipment, and construction specification development for high voltage substation projects. The assignments are varied and will include engineering only, constructions support, and Engineer Procure & Construct (EPC) projects.
This position offers the opportunity for the successful to learn about other engineering disciplines, develop additional areas of technical expertise of interest to you, and participate in professional organizations such as IEEE. You will receive the appropriate training and support to become the primary client interface on technical and engineering issues and to be the internal interface between engineering disciplines.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
Functions as a technical specialist in the physical or protection design of substations or able to lead a team performing design of high voltage electrical substation projects for the top domestic electric utility companies. Experience producing construction documents for the physical and/or electrical aspects of substation projects including high voltage physical arrangement, microprocessor based protection and controls systems, ac and dc station service systems and grounding. Must have strong leadership capabilities including the ability to lead a portion of substation design or lead an entire substation project.
• The candidate will have substation design experience in transmission level voltages 69kV and above with a strong understanding of applicable industry codes and standard design practices.
• Mentors and teaches design engineers and technicians.
• Assists in the preparation of project proposals, including: engineering and construction cost estimates, the planning of project approach, conceptual design, budgeting and scheduling.
• Promotes a quality focused culture and effectively implements Black & Veatch’s thorough quality assurance program.
• Accountable for managing engineering design for substation projects, including engineering schedule and budget performance, quality of engineering solutions and deliverables, and close coordination with procurement and construction professionals.
• Develops strong relationships with and becomes a trusted partner with clients. Responsible for identifying key client interests and drivers on projects. Communicates client interests and drivers to project team members and develops approaches to accommodate those objectives. Works to identify future client needs and how to better position B&V to best serve those needs..
• Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills in the English language.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
• Experience with EPC projects is desired.
• Experience in projects at 345 kV and above is desired.
Requires a bachelor's degree in engineering from either a recognized accredited program in their home country or the country in which the professional is practicing. Minimum of 5 years related work experience
All applicants must be able to complete pre-employment onboarding requirements (if selected) which may include any/all of the following: criminal/civil background check, drug screen, and motor vehicle records search, in compliance with any applicable laws and regulations.
Preferred Job Qualifications:
Displays strengths in the areas of: Written Communications, Drive for Results, Decision Quality, Priority Setting, Planning, Delegation, Directing Others, Conflict Management, Informing, Listening, Dealing with Ambiguity, Customer Focus, and Building Effective Teams.
Black & Veatch Holding Company, its subsidiaries and its affiliated companies, complies with all
Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) affirmative action laws and regulations. Black & Veatch
does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, religion, color, sex, national origin, marital status,
genetic information, sexual orientation, gender Identity and expression, disability, veteran status,
pregnancy status or other status protected by law.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please clickhere.
If you’d like more information on your EEO rights under the law, please clickhereandhere.
Company:Black & Veatch
Location:Dublin, CA, 94568, USA