Congestion Analyst III-E.P. (Entry level Electrical Engineer)
American Electric Power
Job Title:Congestion Analyst III-E.P. (Entry level Electrical Engineer)
**Title** Congestion Analyst III-E.P. (Entry level Electrical Engineer)
**Auto req ID** 14726BR
**Location** Columbus, OH
**Job Type** Full-Time
**Job Category** Energy/Utilities
**Job Description** **Position Summary** **:** Power transmission congestion analyst: Monitor and analyze the electric power grid and perform a variety of transmission system congestion analyses to support generation bidding, nodal energy trading, and power marketing efforts for AEP's unregulated commercial businesses. Use complex approaches in power flow, production cost–based software, or statistical analyses to: understand and communicate transmission system limitations; predict locations, duration, and causes of transmission limitations, resulting in transmission congestion; identify impacts of transmission system congestion.
1. Develop an advanced comprehension of North American nodal power markets.
2. Become familiar with the Eastern Interconnection, Western Interconnection, and/or Electricity Reliability Council of Texas (ERCOT) regions of the North American electric power grid, as assigned.
3. Build, maintain, and train others to utilize a database of nodal congestion liquidations and market clearing prices in regions where AEP Energy Partners conducts activities.
4. Develop proficiency in conducting power flow analyses and production cost simulations.
5. Develop proficiency in presenting technical transmission studies and formulating customized results for internal stakeholders.
6. Maintain power modeling software and cases, manage contractual relationships with software vendors, and train others to utilize modeling software.
7. Monitor, analyze, and convey the impacts of transmission topology changes, policy and rule changes, and emerging technologies on power trading and congestion markets.
8. Identify power trading opportunities and hedge strategies based on fundamental drivers of transmission congestion or the absence thereof.
9. Estimate, allocate, track, and manage transmission congestion rights
**Minimum Requirements for Congestion Analyst lll-E.P.**
**Education:** Bachelor of Science in Electrical Engineering (BSEE) or Electrical and Computer Engineering (BSECE/BSCEE) from an ABET-accredited university, with a preferred emphasis in power systems.
**Experience:** Entry level position. Cooperative or internship engineering experience with an electric utility, regional transmission organization (RTO) or in the energy trading industry preferred.
**Please note:** Selected applicants will be ask to furnish official academic transcripts of all coursework from any academic institutions attended beyond high school.
This position resides within a subsidiary of an electric utility with strict information technology and cyber security standards. This position supports commodity trading, wholesale and retail marketing, and asset optimization desks in an open floor environment, where communication and collaboration are essential. As such, this position requires daily presence in the office and does not lend itself to remote work options.
As power markets and the electric utility industry are an everyday, around-the-clock business, occasional after hours support will be required.
Company:American Electric Power
Location:Columbus, OH, 43201, USA